A past DWI can keep you from traveling

Many people know that a conviction for drunk driving can result in serious penalties. You could owe fines, fees, spend time in jail and lose your license. However, many individuals do not know that a drunk driving conviction can limit their ability to travel abroad.

Immigration laws vary from country to country. Some countries deny individuals entry if they have been convicted of multiple DWIs or felony DWI. Other countries choose to deny entry after only one misdemeanor conviction for drunk driving.

You may not be able to enter Canada with a misdemeanor conviction

According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Canadian immigration officers can deny you entry to the country if you have been convicted of drunk driving. This includes misdemeanor and felony DWI convictions.

Additionally, there is no time limit to your criminal record. Even if you were convicted of drunk driving 25 years ago, you could be denied entry to Canada today.

What can you do if you have a record?

If you are denied entry to Canada or another country as a result of a past DWI conviction, a lawyer can help you. An attorney with experience handling complex DWI cases can coordinate with foreign legal counsel to help you through this difficult situation. There may be steps a lawyer can take to resolve the situation so you can travel outside of the U.S.

Office Location

11 Market Street
Suite 221
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601

Phone: (845) 454-2385
Fax: (845) 454-2387

Follow Us

Glenn R. Bruno, Esq.

New York Defense Lawyer
Attorney Advertising. This website is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Prior results do not guarantee outcome.
Scroll to Top Call Now ButtonTAP TO CALL