Glenn R. Bruno, Esq.
Local 845-206-4501 Toll-Free 888-324-0551
Free, brief, initial telephone consultation
Working Hard to Protect Your Rights As a Poughkeepsie criminal defense attorney, I have been serving the people of the Hudson Valley for more than 20 years through diligent, assertive and quality criminal defense. I am prepared to put my experience to work for you.

A traffic violation or DWI in New York does not stay in New York

You’re driving through New York, and you get a ticket or get pulled over for drunk driving. It may seem like you only have to deal with the consequences in New York. You may have fines, jail time and other consequences, but you don’t expect those to impact your life back home. However, this is not the case.

Over the years, the majority of U.S. states entered into the national Driver License Compact, including New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts. This agreement allows for the sharing of traffic offenses between states. So, if you receive a moving violation, DWI or DWAI in New York, this information will be shared with your state. This will add points to your license, and it could result in a license suspension. 

What traffic offenses are shared between states?

Moving violations are shared between states. This includes tickets for speeding, failing to move over for an emergency vehicle, reckless driving and similar offenses. Additionally, major traffic offenses such as DWI and DWAI will be shared with your home state.

Parking tickets and other non-moving violations will not be shared with your home state.

What can you do about a ticket from home?

When you live out of state, it may seem difficult to tackle a traffic ticket from afar. However, you can still appeal the ticket, and if you work with an attorney, your lawyer can appear on your behalf in court. That way, you may not need to return to New York for a traffic ticket case.

With criminal charges, such as DWI and DWAI, you may still need to appear. However, a local attorney can help you minimize the impact of the case and help you fight to charges from another state. With DWI charges, you have two choices: go to trial or negotiate a plea bargain. Your lawyer can help you weigh the pros and cons of these options and protect your legal rights. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Have a Question? Ask an Attorney:

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Attorney Advertising

11 Market Street
Suite 205
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601

Toll Free: 888-324-0551
Phone: 845-206-4501
Fax: 845-454-2387
Poughkeepsie Law Office Map