Glenn R. Bruno, Esq.
Local 845-206-4501 Toll-Free 888-324-0551
Free, brief, initial telephone consultation
Working Hard to Protect Your Rights As a Poughkeepsie criminal defense attorney, I have been serving the people of the Hudson Valley for more than 20 years through diligent, assertive and quality criminal defense. I am prepared to put my experience to work for you.

You can get a traffic ticket if you don't move over

In New York, drivers are required to slow down for emergency vehicles displaying red or white emergency lights on all types roads. If you are on a parkway or highway, however, you are required to move over and slow down for emergency or hazard vehicles with flashing lights, so long as you can move over safely. This includes moving over for police cars and hazard vehicles that may be stopped to help another driver on the road.

This "move over" law is relatively new in New York. In fact, in July of this year, Governor Cuomo signed legislation that expands this law to include volunteer firefighters and ambulance workers.

As a result of these changes to the traffic laws, many drivers are ticketed without knowing that they were doing anything illegal. However, a lack of knowledge of the traffic laws is not a defense. Unless you successfully fight your ticket, you will still be required to pay the fine as set by the local court.

How do you avoid getting a ticket?

When you see an emergency vehicle with flashing lights, slow down and change lanes, if possible. If you are on a multi-lane parkway or highway, you must move from the lane adjacent to the emergency vehicle, unless you are unable to move over safely.

What do you do if you get a ticket?

You can contest your ticket. There are instructions on how to contest or pay your ticket on the ticket itself. In the lower left corner of the ticket, there should be a date listed and the address of the local court. To contest the ticket, you should follow the steps outlined on your ticket to plead not guilty and mail it in before the deadline.

When you contest a ticket, you are required to appear in court. However, an attorney can appear on your behalf and help you through this process. It is important to work with a local defense attorney who knows the local courts. Every town court in the Hudson Valley handles traffic tickets differently.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Have a Question? Ask an Attorney:

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Attorney Advertising

11 Market Street
Suite 205
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601

Toll Free: 888-324-0551
Phone: 845-206-4501
Fax: 845-454-2387
Poughkeepsie Law Office Map